Monday, November 25, 2013

"Take my apology, please"


        When asked about the millions of Americans who are losing their health care plans as a result of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama would often respond,
        "I am very sorry that they...are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me."
        What did he say? Is that really an apology or is it more like an apologoid, the way a humanoid robot is a lot like a human but, somehow...isn't really a human? Similar, but not the same. Not really.
        In an apology, you're supposed to take responsibility for what you did, say that you're really sorry you did it and that you'll do what you can to make it better and won't ever do it again. This 'apology' was more like,
        "I was sorry to hear about your health insurance, Mrs. Goldberg. Here, I brought you some cookies."
         "Thank you, Mr. President. That was very thoughtful of you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment